Grass Mountain Santa Ynez Valley Poppy & Lupine Bloom


A couple days ago I tackled something I've never actually wanted to attempt. I hiked the most strenuous trail I've ever hiked before, and mind you, I've done a good amount of hiking and backpacking in the last 10 years, so a challenging mountainside is no stranger to me, but this hike kicked my booty! But before I get into the challenges the trail brought I want to share a little bit about my experience on the hike. Above is me sitting in the wild Lupines and California Poppies checking out the view from the top of Grass Mountain. There was a steady breeze and every time I inhaled the air smelled like perfume, which came from the thousands of Lupines. It was a little hard to sit, and just 'be' amongst the wildlife, because this super bloom season attracts a lot of visitors and distraction, but despite that I was still about to get a sense of the nature of the flowers. I felt like they were reaching out to me, almost desperate for attention, but in a nondramatic and delicate way. I wanted to reach out to them and just admire them but the consistent energy of people urging you to keep moving along the trail sort of killed the beauty of what nature was trying to speak. However, I still pushed myself to get some great snap shots on my phone of this amazing moment in my life. 

Below is a view from about where my car was parked and the top of that orange hill is where I hiked to....

 And below here is a photo of the poppy and lupine together

As I said I made time to take a couple shots of me...

It was clear warm day and I felt so spoiled as I gazed my 360 view. I could see the eastern inland Cachuma Lake on my left and then all the way to the Pacific Ocean at Lompoc Valley on my right. I can honestly say that I've never had a view like that before and the fact that I did this whole hike by myself without a partner is amazing and shocking. 

Before I go on about the characteristics of my hike, I would like to say that I do not regret doing this trail. It was the hardest I've ever been on and a lot of things made for a rougher experience than necessary, but I absolutely loved it. Everything that went wrong was turned around and made right. Everything that stumbled me, I quickly changed my mindset and adjusted to the circumstances. This trail really showed me what I'm physically capable of and what I am able to do with my positive mind. So below I'm writing just some of the things that I experienced along this trail, and although at it may come across as complaining, I'm merely writing the truth of what this trail brought in case anyone is reading this for trail research. 

This trail was almost 5 miles round trip and before you reach the peak of Grass Mountain you gain 2,100 feet in 1.5 miles.  (I've been talking to some long time residents in the Santa Ynez Valley and apparently the Chumash deem this hill (Grass Mountain) to be a very sacred place once you step onto the base of the hill. According to my sources the Chumash still bring their poles (walking or ceremonial poles, I'm not sure) to a specific spot and leave them there at the base of hill and a specific spot at the top of the hill. If I would have known this I would have looked out for them, but I didn't notice anything like this.)
The trail is intense to say the least. The first part of the trail was an average mostly up small hills walk while crossing a stream two or three times. There is a fork in the road and the sign is ripped off of the fork post. So there is literally a wood post standing at this fork and you can go one of three different ways. After about 15 minutes of hiking I got to this fork and chose the wrong route and ended up hiking an extra 25 minutes only to sense that 'something wasn't right.' so I back tracked and after another 20 minutes I found my way back to the fork where there was a group of very sweet women who were only to happy to confirm that they were on the Grass Mountain Trail and I was headed in the right direction again. 
Back to the most strenuous part. After I stopped near the base of Grass Mountain for Yogurt and Berries and to chug some more water (note, I actually ran out of water at this point and I still had 1-2 hours left of the hard hiking, so another hiker graciously gave me some of his water to spare since there was no more water sources to filter from this point on) I got back on my feet and kept trudging on. (I was so happy to be on the right trail and fueled up from my breakfast I decided to name the white sage brush "My Breakfast Bush" that I sat under for partial shade while eating my breakfast. Here a pic of "Breakfast Bush....)

During that 1.5 miles heading towards the peak, you are walking on slippery shale-like rock and sand, at some points you're holding onto the side of the mountain while keeping your footing on the path, minimal shade to cool down while you catch your breath, and a steep steep view that makes you question if this is really safe. Going up it is a challenge and going down is no easier. I saw many scooting down on their butts because of the slippery footings were so steep, when you're not straining your ankles going down the hill at a side then your toes are burning because of being pushed into the front of your shoes. When I got home I iced one of my knee's because the pain was so persistent and for some reason I was also getting nerve pain throughout my legs along with the major soreness. One thing that I know for a fact helped me in a smooth recovery was the fact that I stretched out after I got to the top of the mountain and I must have stretched out 5 times after I got home and the next day as well. I was also on my feet for 8 hours the next day at work, constantly walking, so that helped keep my legs from not being stiff or even more sore. I'm grateful for all the effort I put into keeping my muscles looser and active after that hike. 
There are so many reasons why I may only do this trail one more time in my life, if at all, but regardless those reasons I treasure this hike and experience. My body suffered, but I would definitely do it all over again, maybe even in the same exact way, because I value my experience so much.

Quick Herbal Facts about some of the plants I stumbled upon:

Quick Herbal Fact #1 Did you know that the flower essence of Lupine helps direct fear and anxiety from flashbacks in your past away from the brain and refocuses that energy on positive brain functions

Quick Herbal Fact #2 Did you know that the California Poppy still to this day is used a nervous system supporter and repairer, even at times being used to reduce insomnia?


Thanks again everybody for stopping by and reading my journeys!
Happy Trails,
Aimee



Comments