Ranunculus Season!

I work at a local flower farm here in Solvang, CA (Ballard Canyon Farms) and oh man this job will kick your butt. I'm digging, weeding, bending, stretching, picking up, putting down, laboring, seeding, potting, planting, and uprooting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just still a little stunned at how much a person can get done in rain or shine when she puts her mind to it.

One thing that makes it 100% worth it, is when you've harvested the very flowers you seeded months ago.
Yesterday I harvested for the first time in my life the very ranunculus I started from the corms that I placed in trays, all the way back in October. Under the training of my amazing boss, I prepped the soil, prepped the trays, placed hundreds upon hundreds of corms in each tray cell...

 ...I've watered them, nurtured them, and even talked to them as they grew into healthy little buds. Then came the tedious and back straining memory of planting hundreds of the Ranunculus in their flower beds.

 As the frost hit in December, January, and February I worried over them only to find out that my bosses had small hoop houses to cover them up. Now, March 26th I finally and for the first time had the satisfaction of learning how to harvest these sensitive flowers and collected buckets of them to send to farmers market! You can come visit to see more of these beautiful flowers but for now I will have to proudly display a couple photos of my grand flowers.



Thank you for stopping by to see what's new with me! I've currently been working on an herbal post that I'm super pumped to publish but I have a couple finishing touches to add, so please stay tuned!
Have a great night everybody!

Aimee

Comments