Lilac Sun Tea



I was listening to a podcast a couple days ago and heard from Mindy Green (registered herbalist and author) that you can make a sun tea out of lilacs! The lilac tree in our apartment complex is in full bloom so I snipped very little the blossoms to attempt this infusion. Mindy Green said "you're in for a treat" if you are able to try this out so I'm excited.

For this infusion I put about 3/4 quarts of water in a mason jar and tried to fit as many blossoms as I could in the jar while still making sure they were submerged.
At first I was removing the blossoms from their individual stems but I decided against that because I noticed the anthers and pollen were being left behind. So I started adding the whole bunched flowers, including small stems, into the water.

I'm leaving the jar outside in full sun for 24 hours to soak up the sun and great taste. Update tomorrow will be entered on this post.....

**UPDATE**
OH-MY-WORD!!! You guys, Sun Lilac Tea (or rather Lilac Water) is everything and more that I thought it was promised to be!!!! I was most definitely in for!
I strained the water through a tea strainer that poured the filtered water into the cup....
 ...I added a couple cubes of ice and took it outside to enjoy some sun & lilac water. To say the least, it was a true and fresh delight. It had a hint of coconut water and the rest of the taste was sheer lilac! I was in refreshed and replenished heaven. I want to say that it helped me relax a little more and enjoy my books and the sun. It upped my spirits and soothed my nerves. I know I will be harvesting another large mason jar of these flowers and make more before the week is up.

Comments